Witherle Memorial Library is proud to be a community resource for the inhabitants of Castine, Maine, and beyond. To get the most benefit and enjoyment from our services, and to help ensure that we can continue to offer these services, please take a minute to read our guidelines on borrowing and usage.
Any year-round Maine resident, MMA student, property owner or long-term summer renter in Castine or its environs can get a free library card. Anyone may use the resources of the Library, but only registered patrons may borrow materials.
To register as a Witherle Memorial Library patron, please provide us with the following:
- Your name, local address, and phone number.
- Your permanent address and phone number (if you are a temporary resident of Castine).
- Your driver’s license or state ID number.
Summer visitors to the Castine area may register as a patron by providing the above information as well as a $25 refundable cash deposit.Please note: Deposits that are unclaimed as of December 31st each year will gratefully be considered a donation.
Registered patrons will receive a Witherle Memorial Library card, which they can use to request and renew materials online, borrow e-books, download audiobooks, and access other online services available from Witherle Library.
- Books, Magazines, Audiobooks, Music CDs, Kindles, iPods, MP3 players, and the Great Courses are loaned for three weeks.
- DVDs are loaned for one week.
- You may renew any item (up to two times) unless another patron has reserved it.
- Books, Magazines, Audiobooks, Music CDs, DVDs and the Great Courses will accrue a fine of 5 cents per day, up to $2.00.
- Kindles, iPods, and MP3 players will accrue $2 per day, up to $10.00.
- Materials borrowed through Inter-Library Loan are subject to the lending library’s fees.
You will not be able to borrow materials if you accumulate $20.00 or more in fines. If you do not return an item within two weeks of its due date, you will be billed to replace the item.